In 2017 King Edward's celebrates 150 Years at Witley.
We will mark the anniversary with special events both in London and in Witley. We are launching a fundraising appeal to commemorate this significant date in our long history.
King Edward's School was founded in the City of London 1553. In 1867 the School moved from its home in Southwark, where it had been housed since 1830, to the green and spacious site we occupy today. The Surrey Advertiser at the time called it "one of the healthiest and most romantic spots in the county of Surrey". The new building was formally opened by the President, Alderman William Taylor Copeland, on 5 April 1867.
Initially, only the boys made the move, leaving the girls in Southwark before King Edward's, London closed in 1922. The 'First Girls', as they call themselves, made a welcome return to the School, now in Witley, in 1952. Surrey residents were reticent about the new School on the Hill, as it is known by many locals to this day, but were soon reassured by the "orderly and respectful conduct of our lads, and upon the good moral tone that appears to pervade the School."
The School continues to enjoy the support of the county today. We frequently welcome local Mayors and Councillors to key School events, we are one of the largest employers in the borough of Waverley and we continue to welcome children of local residents as day pupils or flexi-boarders to the School.
The 150 Years at Witley appeal
The challenge now is to secure our future in Witley and continue helping needy children for the next 150 years and beyond. To rise to that challenge and commemorate 150 years at Witley we are launching an appeal to raise an additional £150,000 for bursaries at King Edward's: thats £1,000 for every year in Witley.
The focus of the appeal will be a second Telethon in 2017 and we will be enlisting the support of our local and global network to achieve this goal and keep us in this 'place': 'A place to lodge Christ in'.
For more information and to make a gift visit the Make a Gift page of the website.
150 Years at Witley Diary dates
Tuesday 14 March 2017 - Bridewell Day
, Southwark Cathedral, London
- Tuesday 14 March 2017 - The Bridewell Night Walk Sponsored Event
- Thursday 20 April 2017 - Anniversary of the School's Opening, event in Witley (details to follow)
- Sunday 23 April 2017 - Bob & Rob run the London Marathon for Bridewell
- May 2017 - Hambledon Boys Oral History Project & Afternoon Tea
- Thursday 29 June 2017 - Old Witleians/KEW Golf Day
- Saturday 1 July 2017 - Old Witleians Annual Reunion, Witley
- 16 August - 3 September 2017 - Telephone Fundraising Campaign for The Bridewell Foundation
- Sunday 10 September 2017 - Heritage Day (details to follow)