Overseas applicants

We truly value the contribution that our international pupils make and celebrate the richness of experience and different perspectives that they bring to the School, and believe they enjoy the style of a British education. In addition to our majority of British students, we have pupils from over 40 countries.

Pupils usually join the School in 1st Form (aged 11), 3rd Form (aged 13), Pre-Sixth Form (aged 15) or Lower Sixth Form (aged 16), although we will consider entry at other ages. We know what a challenge it is to arrive at a new school in a new country and we do all we can to help new pupils settle in, make friends and feel at home. They will join the same boarding houses as British pupils so have plenty of opportunity to become fluent in English. Equally, they are encouraged to take part in and benefit from all that life here has to offer.

Applying from Overseas

King Edward’s is a UK Independent Schools’ Entry Test (UKiset) Associate School. We encourage our overseas pupils to apply via UKiset. Please visit the website www.ukiset.com to register for the test, which can be taken at approved test centres around the world. On receipt of your UKiset test results we will be in touch with you or your representative accordingly.

Local accommodation when you visit us

If you are interested in staying in the area, please see a list of our local accommodation by clicking the link below.

Overseas fee deposit to secure a place

Parents who are not resident in the UK or EU must pay a deposit of one term’s fees. The deposit is payable on acceptance of a place at the School. If acceptance is for September entry and is prior to 1 April, an interim 50% will be accepted with the balance due on 31 March. Deposits are refunded following the final departure of the pupil from School, once all debts have been paid.


Guardians for pupils whose parents live abroad

Our pastoral system is very strong at King Edward’s and we set great store by ensuring that effective arrangements are made about educational guardianship. King Edward’s requires that all pupils whose parents do not reside in the UK, to have a guardian aged over 25 resident in Britain, preferably local to the School. During the term time the School is legally responsible for each pupil’s welfare and undertakes parentally delegated responsibilities. However, there are times (e.g. exeats, half term holidays or required absence) when the School must be able to hand these responsibilities to an appointed guardian. Guardians may also represent parents at Parents’ Conferences when a pupil’s progress is discussed with teachers.  Arrangements for this should be made by the parent. In summary the guardian’s duties are to

  1. Represent the parents’ interest
  2. Safeguard the pupil’s rights
  3. Act in ‘loco parentis’ should the need arise.

Although we do not endorse or recommend any agency, the Admissions Department can provide a list of guardian agencies families local to King Edward’s.  We do not participate in inspecting any Guardian/Host Family or Agency arrangements and the School cannot be held responsible for the welfare of your child whilst under the care of a host family or Guardian.


Many students from non-EU countries will require a visa to study at King Edward’s.

If you are a national of a country which is not in the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland, you will need to have permission to study in the UK.

If your immigration status changes at any time, you must inform the School.

To obtain a visa you will need an educational sponsor (a school, college or university) who  must be registered with the UK Border Agency

King Edward’s has Highly Trusted status on the UKBA Register of Sponsors.  Please check on the visa flow chart below to see whether you need to obtain a visa.

Information solely for pupils with confirmed offers of places

Following changes to the UK immigration system in 2009, King Edward’s no longer issues visa letters for students to obtain entry clearance. We now issue a Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) to any non-EEA student who has an unconditional offer of a place on either our GCSE or Pre-Sixth Form courses (under 18s only) or our Sixth Form A-level or International Baccalaureate Diploma courses.

If you would like further assistance, please contact your agent or your nearest British Consul or Embassy.

If you would like support at any time in the process please contact our Admissions Office, email admissions@kesw.org or telephone +44 1438 686735. To book a tour or visit on an Open Morning please complete a booking form.

Book an open morning
Contact us