The Bridewell Foundation’s official title is the Bridewell Royal Hospital Foundation, incorporating King Edward’s Witley, and is a registered Charity, No. 311997. Hereafter referred to as the ‘Bridewell Foundation’.
The Bridewell Foundation takes its name from Bridewell Palace. In 1553 Nicholas Ridley, Bishop of London, convinced the boy King Edward VI to grant his palace at Bridewell to the Lord Mayor of London as a place for the training and education of poor children.
In 1867 King Edward’s moved out to Witley. The City links, that have continued for over four centuries, have guaranteed the vision of Nicholas Ridley and King Edward VI lives on in the provision of a first class, free or supported education to talented young people from disadvantaged backgrounds, who, through no fault of their own, cannot thrive educationally in their home environment. These children can grow and learn in a wonderful school environment of care, challenge and opportunity, one set up so that they can go on to achieve everything in life of which they are capable. They live and study alongside pupils from all walks of life and corners of the world.
The Bridewell Foundation’s purpose is to raise money to enable our Founder’s vision to continue.
In addition to financing our Foundation pupils – called “Foundationers” – the Foundation looks to raise money to improve and extend facilities and purchase educational resources that enable the school to deliver a safe and wonderful educational environment for today and the future.
The Foundation is grateful to Old Witleians, parents, staff, City Livery Companies, Charitable Trusts and corporations for their ongoing financial support, which enables us to provide bursary places and enhance our facilities and enrich the education our pupils enjoy today and in the future. To find out more about supporting us, please click here.