This section provides an overview of the appeals process for GCSE, iGCSE and A-level exams in the Summer 2021 series. A-level Exams and the majority of GCSE/ iGCSE exams fall under the protocols set out in the JCQ guidance. Cambridge iGCSEs (CIE) have a separate set of guidelines outlining the appeal process for those subjects. To see which system your exam/ subject falls under you can see an overview here.
The extracts below, relating to the publication of results and the appeals process, are taken from the School’s Centre Policy for A/AS Levels and GCSEs for Summer 2021.
This section of our Centre Policy outlines our approach to the receipt and issue of results to students and the provision of necessary advice and guidance.
This section details our approach to the issue of results to students and the provision of advice and guidance.
- All staff involved have been made aware of the specific arrangements for the issue of results in Summer 2021, including the issuing of A/AS and GCSE results in the same week.
- Arrangements will be made to ensure the necessary staffing, including exams office and support staff, to enable the efficient receipt and release of results to our students.
- Arrangements will be in place for the provision of all necessary advice, guidance and support, including pastoral support, to students on receipt of their results.
- Such guidance will include advice on the appeals process in place in 2021 (see below).
- Appropriate staff will be available to respond promptly to any requests for information from awarding organisations, for example regarding missing or incomplete results, to enable such issues to be swiftly resolved.
- Parents/guardians have been made aware of arrangements for results days.
This section of our Centre Policy outlines our approach to Appeals, to ensure that they are handled swiftly and effectively, and in line with JCQ requirements.
This section details our approach to managing appeals, including Centre Reviews, and subsequent appeals to awarding organisations.
- All staff involved have been made aware of the arrangements for, and the requirements of, appeals in Summer 2021, as set out in the JCQ Guidance.
- Internal arrangements will be in place for the swift and effective handling of Centre Reviews in compliance with the requirements.
- All necessary staff have been briefed on the process for, and timing of, such reviews, and will be available to ensure their prompt and efficient handling.
- Learners have been appropriately guided as to the necessary stages of appeal.
- Arrangements will be in place for the timely submission of appeals to awarding organisations, including any priority appeals, for example those on which university places depend.
- Arrangements will be in place to obtain the written consent of students to the initiation of appeals, and to record their awareness that grades may go down as well as up on appeal.
- Appropriate information on the appeals process will be provided to parents/carers.