The Pupils’ Memorial was erected in memory of the boys who died at the School during the late 19th and early 20th centuries. Reading the names and ages reminds us how fragile life was during that time. The memorial acts a register to all those who left us far too young.
The School is grateful to Bertie and Rosemary Mawer who carefully tended the memorial for many years. In 2010, the area around the memorial was cleared of overgrown trees and brambles. In 2017/18, the Old Witleian community raised the required £5,700 to restore the memorial and the surrounding stone; the stone edging was reset and the names were engraved on granite plaques which were attached to the original memorial. A big ‘thank you’ goes out to all who contributed.
The memorial is located in the churchyard of All Saints’ Parish Church, which is on Church Lane in Witley Village near the junction with Petworth Road. Church Lane is on the left hand side, less than a mile from the School immediately opposite The White Hart Public House. The memorial is in the extreme north east corner of the churchyard.
To the memory of the following boys who died at King Edward’s School Witley and are interred in this churchyard.
This memorial is erected by the King Edward’s School Old Boys’ Association, May 1910
As part of King Edward’s celebrations for Red Nose Day, all pupils were invited to take part in a fun run. On the 23rd, 24th and 25th March pupils across all the years had to run or walk between 3k and 6k on a cross country route across the school grounds with their year group....